Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

U.S. Supreme Court remains the most powerful one on earth. 

Before watching this video, I knew the Supreme Court was the highest court in the United States, but I did not realize how much influence it has on the country. One thing I learned is that there are nine justices on the Court and that every time a new justice joins, an official group photograph is taken. I also learned that more than 100 people have served as Supreme Court justices throughout American history.

The most important takeaway for me is that the Supreme Court remains one of the most powerful institutions in the world. Its decisions help define the boundaries of government power, which means the Court is often at the center of major controversies.

At the same time, the video emphasized an interesting balance. Although the justices are not directly controlled by public opinion, their power ultimately depends on public trust and acceptance. They are responsible for interpreting and applying the law, not for making decisions based on popular demand.

John Marshall
One of the most significant figures discussed was John Marshall, who became Chief Justice and helped shape the authority of the Supreme Court. I learned about Marbury v. Madison and how it established one of the Court's most important powers. I had heard of the case before, but I did not fully understand its importance until watching the video.

The most surprising thing I learned involved the Court's role in issues related to slavery. I did not know that, for many years, Congress lacked the power to abolish slavery, which contributed to what the video described as a self-inflicted wound by the Court. Only after the Civil War was slavery finally abolished. I also learned about the Fourteenth Amendment, which was described as a "second Bill of Rights."

Current Supreme Court Justices

Another fact that stood out to me was the Court's workload. The Supreme Court receives about 100 new cases each week, adding up to roughly 7,000 cases per year. Despite that large number, the Court accepts only about 100 cases annually.

Overall, the video changed the way I view the Supreme Court. I now see it not just as a court, but as an institution that has played a major role in shaping American history and government.

AI DISCLOSURE: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition to facts that I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources and appropriate images and captions.

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW



No comments:

Post a Comment

TOP FIVE SOURCES OF NEWS AND INFORMATION

  News and Information Social Media: My most used used source to find information is social media . I don't watch the news at all so the...