Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Privacy, Online and Off

Online Privacy

After watching the TED Talks by Catherine Crump and Juan Enriquez, I came away with one major realization: privacy is much more fragile than most of us think.

Catherine Crump giving a TED Talk.
Catherine Crump focuses on government surveillance and the amount of information that can be collected about ordinary people. One example that stood out to me was the use of automatic license plate readers. These systems record license plates as vehicles pass by, and police departments can store that information for future use. When enough of this data is collected, it can create a detailed picture of a person's daily life.

What surprised me most was learning that people can become subjects of government attention without doing anything wrong. Crump mentioned a case in which an 80-year-old man was placed on a watch list simply because he regularly attended public events. She also discussed StingRay devices, which can detect cellular devices in nearby homes. To me, these technologies raise serious concerns about civil liberties and personal freedom.

Juan Enriquez giving a TED Talk. 
Juan Enriquez approaches privacy from a different angle. His message is that our online activity can follow us forever, much like a tattoo. Photos, comments, videos, and social media posts may seem harmless in the moment, but they can remain accessible long after we have forgotten about them. That idea made me think twice about how permanent online actions can be.

These issues affect not only me but also my friends and family. Nearly everyone shares information online, often without considering who might see it in the future. At the same time, many people are unaware of how much information can be collected about them offline through surveillance technologies.

I believe the government should create stronger safeguards to protect privacy while still allowing law enforcement to do its job. There should be clear rules about what information can be collected, how long it can be stored, and who can access it.

As individuals, we also have a responsibility to protect ourselves. Being thoughtful about what we post online, reviewing privacy settings, and staying informed about surveillance technologies are simple steps that can make a difference.

These TED Talks reminded me that privacy is not something we should take for granted. Once information is shared or collected, getting it back may be impossible. 

 _________________________________________________________

AI Disclosure: This post was a collaboration with Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching two TED Talks about Privacy Online and Off. In addition to facts I learned, I emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation. I asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added appropriate links and images. 
_________________________________________________________

Watch Now 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Antiwar

  After looking at both Antiwar and The American Conservative, I noticed something interesting. There are a lot of people who disagree with ...